Military and Overseas Voting


Uniformed and Overseas Citizens Absentee Voting Act (UOCAVA)

Military personnel and overseas residents may apply for voter registration or request a mail (absentee) ballot with what is called a Federal Post Card Application (FPCA). This form may be obtained from the Unit Voting Officer or the Service or the Secretary of State's website. If an FPCA is not available, you may download one from either link below.

Military and Overseas voters may request & return ballots electronically (fax or e-mail).

To learn more about military and overseas voting click the FAQs and Additional Link or contact the, Mineral County Election's Office at (719) 658-2440.

UOCAVA citizens are:

  • An out of state member of a Uniformed Service
  • An out of state member of the Merchant Marine
  • Spouse or dependent of a Uniformed Service or Merchant Marine
  • Resident Overseas
  • Non-Resident Overseas

More clearly defined as follows


Spouse or Dependent of a Uniformed Service or Merchant Marine

These include members of the military and merchant marines who are absent from Colorado because of active duty; and spouses or children of members of the military or merchant marines who are absent from Colorado for the same reason. Members of the Public Health Service, National Oceanic & Atmospheric Administration (NOAA), Coast Guard (active duty) and their families also are included in this category.


Resident Overseas

These include U.S. citizens who are temporarily living in or visiting another country. This may include:

  • Vacationers
  • Business Travelers
  • Defense Contractors
  • Embassy Staff
  • Missionaries
  • International Aid Workers
  • Students

Non-Resident Overseas

These include voters who reside permanently in another country and may include:

  • Someone who is married to a citizen of another country and living abroad.
  • Children born overseas who are US citizens but have never lived in the U.S.
  • Someone who has a permanent job overseas.
  • Anyone who lives overseas who does not intend to permanently return.

The non-resident voter should use their last Colorado address on voting materials (even if they maintain no formal ties to this address). A child who never lived in the U.S. should use the parents’ last residence address in Colorado.